Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"What a gimoke"

To me, a great etymological mystery is the origin of the word "gimoke." I'm not even sure what it means. I think I first heard it when my father used it. It's a derogatory term, I know that much. I wonder if it's just a word used in New England. Since my father used it (and I don't think he's one to pick up current slang), I assume it's a word that is at least as old as me (that would be 33 years). The only thing I found online is an entry in the Urban Dictionary:

A person who has graduated from college but still acts like a freshman.

This is derogatory enough, but it's not like it's the OED or anything; it still doesn't say anything about its origin. Maybe I'll never know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an alternate spelling of the word.

Jamoke

I believe it is the more commonly used version, at least in the Pittsburgh area.

Highest ranked in the Urban Dictionary:

Jamoke
63 up, 17 down
A clumsy loser who is incapable of doing normal human tasks.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in New England for a while and I know a guy in this late 50's who uses it all the time. He told me it means "a young underachiever, like i used to be, smoking dope all the time". Huh, its a funny word. No one around uses it though...

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home